Friday, March 9, 2007

New Mexico's Finest



Last weekend I went down to Taos, New Mexico for a ski weekend and decided to try some of the "local" brews. So if you're ever in New Mexico here's what to expect.

Sierra Blanca Brews


I had the nut brown ale from this brewery first. It was very good. Heavy and strong but not much of an aftertaste. My only complaint, if it's really a complaint, it tasted exactly like Newcastle brown ale. I'm a fan of Newcastle so it didn't bother me but it gets D- for originality. Good beer for drinking with dinner or something, but if you're just going to get trashed you get filled up too quickly.

I also sampled the Pale Ale from this brewery, which is described as "A perfect balance of England’s most prized Fuggles and East Kent Golding hops, produces a smooth, full-bodied, aromatic stylistic Pale Ale." I would describe it as pure crap. I'm not a pale ale fan typically anyway, but this one was horrible.

On a side note, we may have met the craziest sumbitch ever in the little bar we were at. This dude asked us 3 seperate times where we were from, in about a 10 minute span. Everytime I told him "Denver", he'd go on and on about all the crime here. He then asked us if he could "train our kids to be bad-asses". Granted we don't have any kids. He said he could teach them the "white-man way" and the "indian way" to be a bad-ass. So if you're kids need training, go to Taos, I guess.

And since there's been much confusion over what the fuck a Tripel is, here is the wiki link





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for clearing up the Tripel saga.

"nut brown" makes me not want to drink this.

whocares said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Beer_styles



Sorry for the lazy link, but this should clear up most questions...

ToddPacker said...

"He said he could teach them the "white-man way" and the "indian way" to be a bad-ass."


kod lives in taos... i did not know that

The Rev said...

Kod lives in Taos...

HAHAHAH!

BLUE said...

oh yeah, needless to say, the dude was plastered, which led to many a drunken indian joke.

El Padrino said...

That's a good brewery though
quality stuff
good report

whocares said...

Drunken injuns are comedy gold.

El Padrino said...

my wife's going to kill me
i filled up two bags of recycle since she left tuesday, she come back today, i forgot to hide it

oh well